So I finally left North Carolina yesterday morning and, because the Air Force says it's not safe, I've only gone 800 miles in 2 days. I'm only allowed to drive something like 400-450 mi/day (which I think is retarded) but since they run my life I must do as I'm told. Besides, I'm in no real hurry to get down to San Antonio, the sooner I get there the sooner I have to go to work. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to my new job, but if I take all 4 travel days I've been given that gets me to SA on Friday...so I don't have to go to work until Monday. So I'm actually taking it slow. I drove to Atlanta yesterday and today I made it to Jackson, MS. In order to get to Mississippi (for those of you who aren't geographically savvy) you have to pass through Alabama.
When I first entered Georgia the speed limit dropped from 70 down to 55. I was a little irritated, cause who honestly drives that slow? Fortunately the Georgia government upped the speed limit rather quickly so it wasn't really that big a deal. When I crossed into Alabama the speed limit, again, dropped from 70 down to 55. Only difference, Alabama likes really big speed traps. There are about 215 miles on I-20 through Alabama, and the first 33 had a speed limit of 55. And right as you enter the state they had signs everywhere that the speed limit was "Strictly enforced". I think "strictly enforced" is an understatement. In the first 15-20 miles I saw 3 people pulled over and another 2-3 cops on patrol. Then, to make matters worse, 3-6 times in the remaining 182 miles of I-20 the speed would drop back down to 55 for a few miles...for "construction". And honestly, I only saw people working in the blasting zone...and as Brian Reagan said, that should have read "Road Closed". They even had a sign telling drivers to turn off their CB radios and cell phones. I'm sorry, but if I'm close enough to a roadside bomb that my cell phone can set it off, I think the road needs to be closed. But I finally made it through Alabama (after 4 hours or so) and I say good riddance. If I ever drive through Alabama again it will be too soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment